Celebrating 250 years
Robert Owen Memorial Museum had planned larger events for Robert Owen’s 250th Birthday on Friday 14th May 2021, but sadly, due to the world pandemic and Government lockdown restrictions, some of these have now been scaled down in Newtown, Powys.
However, Newtown & Llanllwchaiarn Town Council and Robert Owen Memorial Museum together with various Cooperative Groups have nonetheless planned many events. To avoid large crowds gathering, some events are now planned online, some are low-key, and others use recorded filming to avoid problems on the actual day.
A variety of events are to be recorded and filmed by N<C to be released online on their Facebook page. Of these, a short film is planned which will include Newtown dignitaries; Iolo Williams (Welsh Naturalist & TV Presenter) and Robert Owen Memorial Museum Trustees presenting the significance of Robert Owen’s lifelong legacy. There will be some colourful illuminations of memorials to Robert Owen in Newtown provided by N<C. These will be located at the statue and the tomb. A large 250th birthday card will be unveiled and filmed. A new portrait of Robert Owen, painted by Brian Jones, is also to be unveiled and filmed at the museum and displayed in a shop window nearby. These events are to commemorate his significant legacy which lives today in co-operative organisations, social business enterprises, politics and in particular education. Ysgol Dafydd Llwyd have made a cake for Robert Owen’s 250th birthday. This was organised by Co-ops & Mutuals Wales. You can see the cake by clicking here.
Robert Owen heritage custodians and cooperative organisations have been planning events and online conferences to explore the visionary utopian ideals of Robert Owen, who inspired the Cooperative Movement and to highlight the current work of the modern day co-operatives across the globe. Some of these events so far are:-
- Co-ops & Mutuals Wales online events: ‘Relevance of Robert Owen on his 250th Anniversary’. Full details and dates of these events and how to book a ticket, can be found on their website here. These events focus on the relevance of Owen’s themes of mutuality, education, active citizenship and to ensure his influence is taken account of in publicly funded education.
Participants wishing to attend these events – please see two separate Eventbrite links below to sign up.
- Cooperative Group NMC event planned at 9am on Saturday 15/5/21. This is a fringe meeting for the Co-op Group AGM planned and organised by Nick Matthews of the Co-op Group National Members Council. This is a closed meeting.
- Wales Co-operative Centre photography exhibition entitled “The Modern Face of Co-ops in Wales” launched online on three Welsh museum’s websites, but Robert Owen Memorial Museum is the only museum using a virtual 3D space to do so. This is organised by the Wales Co-operative Centre. The photography exhibition features on the Robert Owen Memorial Museum website and you can view the exhibition today by following this link.
- There is a one hour talk online called “The New World of Robert Owen“– by Chris Williams, co-author and editor of his book ‘Robert Owen and his Legacy’ on Robert Owen’s life and global impact. This talk is being held online on Wednesday 12th May from 12:00 – 13:00. You would need to follow the link to go to Eventbrite to book tickets beforehand to attend the zoom event. https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-new-world-of-robert-owen-tickets-151775611941
- Inspired by Owen 2021 Event
“Best Employment Practices: Robert Owen’s Legacy”
Sunday 23rd May 2021 2.00pm – 4.00pm Free online event with excellent line-up of speakers and film. Organised by Newtown and District Labour Party Branch Robert Owen Group. Registration and further details via Eventbrite link below.
- Wales Co-operative Centre in the Communities Creating Homes project have a regular monthly network event on zoom and this month to coincide with the anniversary are focusing on Robert Owen and housing, looking at his legacy and also at some pioneering community housing projects today. The event is free and people book using the link below :- https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/
Also New Harmony, in the USA, plans various events including writing and poetry competitions, online talks, and a picnic on the date of his birthday. You can read more here by following this link.
Find out more about the life and legacy of Robert Owen here:-
Read more about Robert Owen :-
Overview of the life of Robert Owen https://www.robertowenmuseum.co.uk/overview
Early life of Robert Owen https://www.robertowenmuseum.co.uk/early-life
About Robert Owen https://www.robertowenmuseum.co.uk/about
Robert Owen in 300 words https://www.robertowenmuseum.co.uk/300-words